Monday, July 23, 2018

An Innocent Girl

Is this world amazing?
Is my life interesting?
Is my journey exciting?
But, is my soul repenting?

Don't let your soul ever get hurt,
said Socrates, definining virtues,
but they've forgotten their soul,
and they've forgotten their virtues

I tell myself, I always tell myself,
you are our only support, the only support,
never ever get into a position, where you lose,
where you've got to forgive yourself- your only support

And so I ask, why do I feel so guilty,
why am I ashamed on this gene?
Do I blame Darwin, Do I blame nature?
Why do all men have this gene?

Why does this gene influence us?
Why do we always wanna conquer?
why exploit? Why can't we look beyond?
Why can't we see the Innocent girl?

The "shameless gene" wants to spread,
the "shameless gene" leaves no stone unturned,
the "shameless gene" doesn't care,
doesn't care, can't see the innocence

They look at her as an object,
They look at her as flesh,
They look at her as an opportunity,
to bring the evolutionary animal out,

Did they read Darwin, from Ghenghiz to now,
the "shamless gene"  has been on the rise,
But then we do have the "noble gene" I guess,
the noble one which is making me speak,

I look at her as a sentient being,
I look at her  as a bundle of happiness,
 I look at her as an opportunity,
to bring the human out, to make me smile

The noble gene helps me preserve this innocence,
let the roses stay, let the garden smile,
let the innocence stay, let the world smile,
The noble gene asks for a renaissance,

Did I read Tagore, Did I read Rawls,
or was it just the noble gene?
If the "shameless gene" grew to spread mankind,
the "noble gene" spread to protect humanity

Did I read Amartya Sen, did I read about HDI?
Why should I care, why should this matter?
It does, it should, ignore Tagore, ignore Rawls,
think about the next generation, think about the future

We need a generation which is brought up with love,
So they could think like Tagore, like Sen, like Rawls,
We need a generation which can succeed,
so they could think like Darwin, like Socrates!

But what do we do? We can't ask Darwin, we can't ask Rawls,
maybe we have to stand by the ones who know,
maybe we can't just be a bystander,
maybe the Innocent Girl needs your help

She has been hurt,
She can take all the pain,
She has been ignored,
She can stay all lonely,

She doesn't need your sympathy,
you'd realize, if you could empathize,
She doesn't need your pointless advice,
only if you could empathize, but how?

We have got the shameless gene, we've got the noble gene,
it's time to realize that we can rise beyond, we can be human,
we've inherited knowledge, we've got wisdom,
it's now the time to think, time to act

Forget Darwin, forget Rawls
You are actually a gardener,
Let the roses blossom,
get the Innocent girl to smile

Forget Darwin, remember Tagore
You are a creator, you've got the power,
you can transform the garden, your life,
Let the roses blossom, Let the Innocent girl smile!


---
Dedicated to all those wonderful women who helped me smile, who helped me think, who helped me grow, thank you for everything, this is for your, this is for you to know I am not a bystander.

No comments:

Post a Comment